Sweet Potato Pie Recipe: If you’re a fan of fall pies, you’ve probably thought about pumpkin pie, but let me introduce you to a gem you shouldn’t overlook – Sweet Potato Pie! This recipe takes the traditional pumpkin pie and elevates it with a smooth, creamy, and not-at-all-stringy sweet potato filling infused with rich fall spices and vanilla. Baked in a buttery homemade pie crust, this dessert is sure to steal your heart. Let’s dive into making this delectable sweet potato pie entirely from scratch!
Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Pie Crust: You can follow the provided all-butter pie crust recipe or use a store-bought alternative.
- Sweet Potato: I recommend cooking your own sweet potato for the freshest taste and best flavor.
- Heavy Cream: If you prefer, you can use half & half, full-fat coconut milk, or coconut cream instead.
- Light Brown Sugar: Dark brown sugar or coconut sugar can be used as substitutes.
- Spices: The recipe includes a delightful blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Feel free to experiment, but it’s recommended to try the original combination first.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie:
- Cook the Sweet Potatoes: There are two methods for this. You can either roast them in the oven until soft or slow cook them in a slow cooker with water until tender. Allow them to cool before peeling.
- Make the Pie Crust: Using a food processor or pastry cutter, combine the dry crust ingredients, then add chilled butter and ice water. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill for at least an hour.
- Prepare the Sweet Potato Filling: Blend the cooled sweet potatoes with heavy cream in a high-powered blender or food processor until smooth. Add vanilla, brown sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and eggs, and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the Pie: Preheat the oven, roll out the pie crust, transfer it to a pie plate, and crimp the edges. Pour the sweet potato filling into the unbaked crust and cover the edges with a pastry shield.
- Bake: Bake the pie at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes, or until A toothpick inserted or comes out with a few pieces.
- Cool/chill: Let the pie cool on a wire rack at room temperature for 2 hours, then transfer it to the refrigerator for 2 hours. Serve at slightly cool temperature.
Deliciously Sweet Potato Pie Recipe for a Perfect Dessert / 2nd
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp. (½ stick) butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Praline Topping (optional)
- ½ recipe Best-Ever Pie Crust, unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll out the Best-Ever Pie Crust to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Gently place the crust into the plate and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake them until they are fork-tender, which will take about 1½ hours.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and discard them. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the warm sweet potatoes, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and melted butter on medium speed until the mixture becomes smooth. Then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the eggs, evaporated milk (or half-and-half), vanilla extract, grated orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the luscious filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and, if desired, carefully spoon the Praline Topping over the top.
- Put the pie back into the oven and continue baking until the praline topping turns golden and the filling barely jiggles, which should take an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the pie is done, allow it to cool on a wire rack.
- Your sweet potato pie is now ready to be served! Enjoy it warm or chilled, and watch as it becomes an instant hit with everyone who takes a bite.
There you have it – a unique and simple English article guiding you through the process of creating a delightful sweet potato pie. Whether it’s a special occasion or a casual get-together, this dessert will surely leave everyone craving for more. So, gather your ingredients, follow the easy steps, and treat your loved ones to this heavenly dessert that will undoubtedly become a timeless favorite!
This sweet potato pie recipe is a delightful fall treat that might even outshine its pumpkin counterpart. The creamy, spiced filling paired with a buttery homemade crust is a match made in dessert heaven. Serve it slightly chilled or at room temperature, and enjoy it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. This pie can also be frozen for future indulgence. Happy baking!