Indulge in the heartwarming goodness of classic smothered pork chops, a beloved Southern-style dinner that will leave your entire family asking for seconds! Picture tender, pan-seared pork chops swimming in a pool of creamy, onion-infused, and oh-so-flavorful gravy – a feast that tantalizes the taste buds and warms the soul.
The best part? This delectable recipe is not only a treat for your taste buds but also fits seamlessly into various dietary lifestyles. Low-carb and keto-friendly, it proudly wears the gluten-free badge, making it a culinary gem that caters to different preferences with ease. Accompany it with rice or noodles for those craving a comforting carb fix, or pair it with an assortment of veggies to appease the low-carb crowd. Whichever way you choose to savor it, there’s no doubt this dish will be an instant hit!
just a few minutes of hands-on preparation, you can achieve the rich flavors of a dish that seemingly simmered all day long. In a world where time is precious, this smothered pork chops recipe strikes the perfect balance between taste and convenience.
One-Pan Pork Chop with Rice and Vegetables
This one-pan pork chop with rice and vegetables recipe is a simple and flavorful dish that will satisfy your taste buds. With a mix of garlic-infused pork chops, colorful bell peppers, sweet onions, and tender rice, it’s a wholesome meal perfect for any occasion.
- 2 large cloves Garlic, smashed
- 1 pound Uncooked lean boneless Pork Chops, washed and patted dry (four 4 oz chops)
- 1 tsp Table salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Cooking spray, divided
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 1 large Onion, Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 medium Red Bell Peppers, or a variety of bell peppers, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Uncooked White Rice, long-grain, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- Rub the smashed garlic all over the pork chops and then reserve the garlic. Next, season the pork chops with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Coat a large heavy pan with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, sear the pork chops until they become nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Once done, remove the pork chops from the pan and set them aside.
- Off the heat, coat the pan again with cooking spray and add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, cooking until it starts to turn golden and caramelize, about 1 to 2 minutes (be careful not to let the garlic burn). Now, add the sliced onions and sauté them until they become translucent and golden, occasionally scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate the drippings. This should take about 10 minutes. Once done, remove the onions from the pan and set them aside.
- Off the heat, coat the pan again with cooking spray and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, setting it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced bell peppers and sauté them until they become tender, which should take about 10 minutes. Once done, remove the peppers from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the seared pork chops back to the pan and top each chop with 2 tablespoons of uncooked rice. Spoon the crushed tomatoes over the pork chops and season everything with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tightly cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let it cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, spoon the sautéed bell peppers and onions over the top, cover the pan again, and continue cooking until the rice becomes tender, which should take around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, your one-pan pork chop with rice and vegetables is ready to be served. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe serves 4, with each serving consisting of 1 pork chop and about 1 cup of rice with vegetables.
Easy Oven-Baked Smothered Pork Chops
Learn how to make delicious smothered baked pork chops with a rich onion gravy that will tantalize your taste buds. This simple and flavorful recipe will become a family favorite in no time.
- 4 pork chops
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder (optional)
- Black pepper
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Season the Pork Chops:
Sprinkle sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder (if using), and black pepper evenly over both sides of the pork chops. Set them aside for a moment.
- Brown the Pork Chops:
In a dutch oven or oven-safe skillet, heat some cooking oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the seasoned pork chops to the pan. Allow them to sear for a few minutes on each side until nicely browned. This step adds depth to the flavor, but the chops don’t need to be fully cooked at this stage. Transfer the browned pork chops to a plate and set them aside.
- Caramelize the Onions:
In the same dutch oven, add the thinly sliced onions. Cook them over medium heat, stirring occasionally until they become golden brown and caramelized. This will take about 15-20 minutes, and the onions will become soft and sweet.
- Prepare the Onion Gravy:
Add the minced garlic and dried thyme to the caramelized onions. Saute for about a minute until fragrant. Pour in the chicken broth, using a spatula or spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer and Thicken:
Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the gravy cook for a few minutes until it thickens slightly. The flavors will meld together beautifully.
- Add Cream Cheese:
Stir in the cream cheese until it completely melts into the gravy, making it creamy and luxurious.
- Bake the Pork Chops:
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Return the browned pork chops to the dutch oven, nestling them into the gravy. Cover the dutch oven with a lid or foil and transfer it to the preheated oven.
Let the pork chops bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C). Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the chops.
- Serve and Enjoy:
Remove the dutch oven from the oven, and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Spoon the luscious onion gravy over the pork chops and pair them with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes or green beans.
This delectable smothered pork chops recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The tender pork chops, combined with the rich and savory onion gravy, create a comforting and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!